Catching unlawful drivers in the act

| 30/06/2016

Ask Auntie, CNS Local Life, Caymanian statusIf I have a dash cam and caught (a driver overtaking illegally) on camera, can I submit it to the RCIPS for evidence to issue them a ticket?

Auntie’s answer: Yes, you can, but there is a process you have to go through. If you saw a violation and captured that on dash cam footage, that would qualify as evidence of the infraction, an RCIPS spokesperson explained. You would have to submit the footage to the RCIPS along with a written and signed statement.

You would then be considered a complainant and the RCIPS would investigate your complaint.

I, for one, think it would be a great public service to help crack down on drivers who apparently have no issue with flouting the rules of the road. I have no sympathy for them.


Category: Ask Auntie

Comments (10)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. A Nony Mouse says:

    We need a new Facebook page to upload dashcam videos of these scofflaws so that they can be recognized and publicly shamed! If enough clear videos accumulate on the SAME driver, then the RCIPS should then be compelled to act! Until action is taken against these reckless denizens of the roads nothing will get better!

  2. Anonymous says:

    There is no law enforcement in the Cayman Islands. Caymanians don’t like to follow laws and or take responsibility for their actions. Plan accordingly.

  3. natalie says:

    why do u have a dash cam in the first place, are you u a police office or you have nothing better to do.

  4. East End Resident says:

    What about illegal parking? There is a group on FB with photos of people illegally parked in disabled bays. No one does anything about it. These people have no regard for anyone but themselves.

  5. Anonymous says:

    Doesn’t work I’m afraid. I have done this more than once with the RCIPS and got absolutely no response whatsoever.

    • Anonymous says:

      Why wouldn’t you proceed with the next step? There is got to be a time frame for a response from RCIPS.

      • Anonymous says:

        Been there too. Filed a complaint with the professional standards unit and it seems they ignore it too