Rules for refunds of work permit fees

| 20/12/2016

I saw in the news that immigration has introduced a new form for people to use to request withdrawal or cancellation of a work permit or refund of a work permit fee. Could you find out when and under what circumstances someone can apply for a refund on a work permit?

Auntie’s answer: The procedures covering refunds are found in a series of notes on page 45 of the Immigration Regulations (2015 Revision). An official with the Department of  Immigration helped navigate through the rules.

Under the regulations, it explains that when a work permit is granted or renewed for six months or less, the corresponding fee would be half of the annual charge. Here’s the important part for your question: “Where a work permit ceases to be effective for whatever cause and the employee has worked for six months or less, a refund of no more than one half of the annual fee is to be made. If the employee has worked for more than six months no refund will be made.”

There is one more bit worth noting and that is when someone makes an express application for a temporary work permit. The official explained that if “a decision is not communicated within 48 hours of receipt of the application, the express application fee shall be refunded to the applicant”.

The law mentioned in this column can be found on the CNS Library


Category: Ask Auntie, Immigration Questions

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    don’t worry…the days of the government scam on collection work permit fees is coming to an end….
    courts will force them….

  2. Anonymous says:

    Another sham Being run by bad minded employers…. Here is how is it ,,,,, A work permit is obtained and paid for not by the employer but by the employee after worker arrives they are fired and the employer collects the returned fee……