Switching to single-member constituencies

| 13/12/2016

A member of staff from the Elections Office came round to my house a few weeks ago and while she was there I filled out a form because I have moved district since the last elections. But when I checked the revised voter list today, my name is still registered for the district where I used to live – one of the old six districts. When is the Elections Office going to publish the list with the new 19 districts and all the changes?

Auntie’s answer: I am glad to see readers sending in questions about the elections because, as I have said before, I am a firm believer in everyone performing their civic duty and exercising their right to vote. In addition, I want to let people know that the staff at the Elections Office are truly there to help and have never failed to do what they can to answer my questions and, perhaps even more impressive when it comes to government, replying in a very timely manner.

And they have come through once again. An Elections Office official explained that the answer for you is all a matter of timing. The 19 single-member electoral districts will come into effect when the Legislative Assembly is dissolved on 28 March 2017 and the list of electors that becomes effective 1 April 2017 will be issued with the new districts.

“The list of electors takes approximately three months to become official,” the representative said.  “The lists are published in revised format and after a period of claims and objections which lasts just over two months, the revised list is finalised and is signed off by the revising officer (a magistrate); then it becomes the official list.”

What this means for those who register or update voter information between 20 October 2016 and 16 January 2017 (the new registration deadline) is that you will be on the revised list that is issued 31 January and becomes the official register of electors on 1 April. And that list will be the one used for the general elections in May.

If you have other questions, I am sure the folks at the Elections Office would be happy to help. You can call them at 949-8047 or go to their website.

In addition, readers are welcome to send questions to me and I will contact the office on your behalf.

Tags: , ,

Category: Ask Auntie

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    But why are MLAs allowed to live in Any district??