Non-Caymanian spouse seeks naturalisation

| 17/06/2018

I’m married to a Caymanian and I’ve been living here for four years. I have a Residency and Employment Rights Certificate (RERC). Am I eligible to apply for naturalisation as a British Overseas Territories Citizen on grounds of marriage? I understand that I need to be married for seven years in order to apply for the right to be Caymanian, but what about naturalisation (basically just getting a Caymanian passport)?

Cayman National Bank

Ask Auntie sponsor

Auntie’s answer: The issue for you is that right now there is a limit on your stay in the Cayman Islands. This was explained by Deputy Governor Franz Manderson: “In order to qualify for naturalisation the applicant must be free from an immigration time restriction on tenure.”

In other words, as the spouse of a Caymanian you have been granted an RERC, which is issued for seven years and thus does not qualify you to apply for naturalisation, Mr Manderson pointed out.

However, once you are granted the right to be Caymanian, you will then be able to apply to be naturalised.

Tags: , ,

Category: Ask Auntie, Immigration Questions

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Should have married a PR holder. Then you could get naturalized.

    • Anonymous says:

      True. Imagine, state-sponsored discrimination against Caymanians.

      • Anonymous says:

        Yeah, I resemble that remark! Still not naturalized after 26 years in Cayman due to that nasty gotcha! Oh, but I have status and can vote! What a farce!!

        • Anonymous says:

          Well, I suggest you use your vote against the incumbents who locked you and every other spouse of a Caymanian into that mess.

    • Anonymous says:

      …hummm and I taught I was Caymanian. born ‘n bred… looks like I get better rights “as a caymanian” if I apply for PR instead, then my spouse can immediately get hers…no more wait’n beat’n round the “bush” ‘n finding my great, great, great grandmother Birth Certificate… I can show them her grave plot …but they wont’ believe that either… cus they’d NO I “caymanian” then!!! Lol …only in “cayman”… Franz, bobo, Dept Gov’,… how bout nudg’n someone…anyone of the 19 high paid so call “representatives” to bring a simple motion to change dis BS? ps:misspellings intended…

    • Anonymous says:

      Lol … I gonna give up being a Caymanian and apply for PR! Better “Caymanian” Rights

      • Anonymous says:

        It is very sad to know that spouses of Caymanian cannot be naturalized until Caymanian Status has been obtained which takes about seven years. On the other hand PR holders and their NON Caymanian spouses can be naturalized one year after obtaining such PR status.