Spouse applying for RERC while overseas

| 26/11/2018 | 1 Comment

Can a non-Caymanian spouse apply for the Residency and Employment Rights Certificate (RERC) and subsequently the rights to be Caymanian on the grounds of marriage while off island? Or does the couple/non-Caymanian spouse have to reside in Cayman during the process?

Ask Auntie, CNS Local Life, Caymanian statusAuntie’s answer: Yes, the application for an RERC can be made while the spouse of a Caymanian is living overseas, a Department of Immigration official confirmed. In addition, there is no time limit as to how long the spouse can be off island and still apply.

However, the official pointed out something to be aware of when applying for the right to be Caymanian on the grounds of marriage, explaining that according to the Immigration Law (2015 Revision), “the applicant has to satisfy the Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency Board that he/she is legally and ordinarily resident in the Islands immediately preceding the date of the application”. Section 22 covers the acquisition of the right to be Caymanian by grant of the board including through marriage.

The law mentioned above can be found on the CNS Library

Recent answers from Auntie

Determining increases in mortgage interest

Determining increases in mortgage interest

If the US prime rate is 5.25 percent for the month of October 2018, by how much percent should the banks in the Cayman Islands increase their mortgage interest rate?

How private is genetic information?

How private is genetic information?

Are there any laws or policies that protect personal genetic information from being released to health insurance companies in the Cayman Islands? I’ve been talking to a friend who is wary of being tested for the BRCA gene mutations that cause increased risk of certain cancers. Their doctor does not know whether if someone signs […]

Clarifying duty-free rules

Clarifying duty-free rules

I was wondering if I can bring in tobacco, and/or spirits, in excess of the duty-free allowance, for my personal use, under the $500 allowance; i.e., if I only spend $100 at Target can I bring in $200 worth of Bailey’s, and $200 of Marlboro lights for my $500? Auntie’s answer: This is one of […]

Upset about Sunday construction noise

Upset about Sunday construction noise

I wonder if you could shed some light on construction on Sundays. There is

Tags: ,

Category: Ask Auntie, Immigration Questions

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    And to think the law says anyone granted status who moves away for more than 5 years can have their status revoked. Instead, Immigration is ensuring all their foreign spouses and children are able to become Caymanian without even living here. Sheer genius.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.