Can I wait past nine years to apply for PR?

| 27/08/2019

My term limit is coming up but my wife still has several years. I’d like to apply for PR, but ideally I’d wait until after my own term limit. Am I able to continue working as a dependent of my wife until I’m ready to apply for PR? Basically, it comes down to buying a less than ideal property vs buying our dream home.

Ask Auntie, CNS Local Life, Caymanian status

Auntie’s answer: I understand your dilemma and appreciate you want to commit to owning property as part of your application for permanent residency. However, as you are clearly aware, to be eligible to apply for PR you have to be legally and ordinarily resident in the Cayman Islands for a period of at least eight years, but not more than nine years.

For the specifics of the application procedure you can read Section 37 of the Immigration (Transition) Law, 2018.  

Nevertheless, I did check with Workforce Opportunities and Residency Cayman (WORC) about your question and since what you are asking falls outside of what the law permits, I was unable to get any guidance from that department. Understandably, it would be a conflict for a WORC official to advise on a potential application that they would eventually have to decide on. From their perspective, you would have to submit your application and see what happens.

I think your best option is to seek the assistance of an immigration consultant or lawyer specialising in immigration issues.

The law mentioned above can be found on the CNS Library

Send questions to
or leave your question in the comment section of any article

Recent answers from Auntie (Click here for archives)


Tags: ,

Category: Ask Auntie, Immigration Questions

Comments (6)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    The 9 year term limit no longer exists.

  2. Anonymous says:

    as always, never any real help, never complete understandable information, and be prepared for the long lines to even speak to someone that most likely wont know CRAP about the subject. your best bet is to get an immigration lawyer that know Cayman laws and how to bend them to your situation.

    Auntie: I have just updated this answer in the latest column. I hope you find the new information helpful.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Don’t you read CNS articles? Who would want to settle here? Toxic wasteland and it is getting worse.

  4. Anonymous says:

    Auntie, the 9 year limit does not exist under the Immigration (Transition) Law.