How to complain about a lawyer

| 24/05/2016

If one has a complaint about the standard of legal service provided by a licensed legal practitioner in the Cayman Islands, is there any organisation which hears and/or arbitrates such complaints?

Auntie’s answer: Yes, you do have recourse if you are unhappy with the level of service you receive from a lawyer in Cayman. It is actually very simple to start the process, as well.

All that is required to lodge a complaint is to write a letter to the chief justice outlining what your issue is with the lawyer. That step starts the process and sets off whatever investigation is necessary. There is no deadline for how long after the supposed infraction you submit your complaint (though it is better to do it sooner rather than later) but also no time limit for your case to be reviewed. You can contact the Judicial Administration for more information at 949-4296.

The Cayman Islands Law Society has a very good description of how the complaints process works which can be found on its website.

In addition, the helpful staff at the Judicial Administration pointed out that the Legal Practitioners Law (2015 revision) sets out the powers to discipline, which are given to a judge of the Grand Court. The details can be found in section 7 under the law.


Category: Ask Auntie

Comments are closed.