Fired civil servant looking to appeal decision

| 23/01/2018

I lost my job in the civil service due to what I believe was a false report filed on me. I also do not think the circumstances of my case were investigated properly. Is there an independent entity that could look into this and if it finds I was unfairly dismissed order my reinstatement?

Auntie’s answer: There is an avenue for your complaint. John Bothwell, the president of the Cayman Islands Civil Service Association (CICSA), explained the procedure. “For civil servants in the unfortunate position of a contested dismissal the best route is the Civil Service Appeals Commission”, he said.

The CICSA will support members, when they request it, during discipline or dismissal proceedings, Mr Bothwell pointed out. But, he added, when cases reach the point of dismissal, a civil servant should approach the appeals commission “to arbitrate the fairness of their dismissal”.

He explained that the commission “has fairly broad powers to recommend redress” or, as stated in Section 60 of the Public Service Management Law (2017 Revision), “make such determination as it considers appropriate” should actions be found to be unfair.

At the very least, Mr Bothwell said, if the commission finds the decision was fair, the civil servant has had a chance to have his or her situation reviewed by an independent third party.

For anyone who wants to register a complaint or appeal a decision, the appeal commission’s website contains information on the process as well as how to contact them.

The law mentioned in this column can be found on the CNS Library

Tags: , ,

Category: Ask Auntie, Civil Service Questions

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    I just don’t understand this. I read comments on this site that said no one is fired in the civil service. Obviously that’s not true. I also read that CIG financial statements were in shambles and then I saw the Public Accounts Committee today awarding civil servants for exemplary financial statements. What’s going on?

  2. Anonymous says:

    They can also appeal to a labour appeals tribunal if the circumstances have provided protections less than those available in the private sector.

    • Anonymous says:

      Civil Servants do not come under the Labour Law that the private sector for falls under. Therefore they cannot utilize the DL& P for assistance.

  3. West bay Premier says:

    The burden of proof is on you Bro /Sis . If you still want to continue Jobless you better start investigating or hire an private investigator, or try to get another job .

  4. Debbie says:

    But I thought civil servants never get fired.

  5. Anonymous says:

    Let it go, that’s one job you are better off without.