Is moonshine legal in Cayman?

| 24/07/2018 | 7 Comments

Is it legal in Cayman to produce alcoholic beverages for personal consumption only? If so, which ones are legal? For example, can I make a mash from my own mangoes and make moonshine, or use the beer and wine kits which are available on the island? Are they legal?

Cayman National Bank

Ask Auntie sponsor

Auntie’s answer: The type of beverage produced doesn’t seem to be the issue here, though may I say mango moonshine does sound intriguing. But I can broadly answer your query, with help from the Department of Commerce and Investment (DCI), under which liquor licensing falls. There is no provision in the law that restricts someone from producing alcohol for their personal consumption, the DCI official explained. However, it is a different story if that alcohol is offered for sale, which I think you already know.

The official also advised that you contact the Department of Environmental Health for help to ensure that your alcohol production “is done in a sanitary and safe manner to reduce any risk to individuals in their family or circle of friends who may be consuming same”.

And if you need someone to taste test your mango creation, don’t hesitate to call on me.

Tags: ,

Category: Ask Auntie, Misc Questions

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Anonymous says:

Brewing Kill-Devil !

2. Anonymous says:

Want to produce a literal toxic liquid, aka alcohol in your own home? Lol go knock yourself out bobo, just do it sanitarily.

Want to grow a medical plant, aka cannabis in your backyard to brew a tea that treats your depression and lack of appetite? NO, that’s the devil’s lettuce! Go to jail!!

• Anonymous says:

We don’t care about your lettuce issue. This is geat. I may plant a little sugar cane in the back yard.

• Anonymous says:

Both are of the devil

• Anonymous says:

If you believe in the devil, surely you believe that your god created plants along with cannabis?

• Anonymous says:

And the good lord said ‘some things are good to eat, others not’. See how easy that was? Hopefully it has restored your faith in Yahweh.

• Anonymous says:

I am the Devil and I can confirm that cannabis was created by God. However, alcohol is made by man under my guidance. Muahahahaha

Please include your email address in the form below if you are using your real name. You can use a pseudonym, with or without leaving an email address, or just leave the form blank to be "Anonymous". All comments will be moderated before they are published. The CNS Comment Policy is at the top of this page.

SIGN UP FOR THE CNS NEWS LETTER, SENT EVERY WEEKDAY STRAIGHT TO  YOUR INBOX