Can mother access her deceased son’s pension?

| 17/10/2018 | 0 Comments

Ask Auntie, CNS Local Life, Caymanian statusThe mother of a Jamaican man working in Cayman who died last year wants to know how does she go about getting his pension? Is she entitled to his pension? He died in the Cayman Islands but his body was brought back to Jamaica. What documentation would she need to provide? His mother is still in bereavement and finds this hard to deal with, hence she has asked for assistance.

Auntie’s answer: There is indeed a way for the mother to access her son’s pension and the process was explained by an official with the Department of Labour and Pensions.

First of all, access to the son’s pension depends on several factors, including whether he was married and if his mother is named as a beneficiary on his pension account. If he were married, then his wife is entitled to the pension, but it sounds from the question that the son was single. In addition, if a beneficiary had been named then that person would get the benefit, but again, that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

So, the official said, what his mother needs to do is apply for and obtain documentation from the court which “would authorise the person’s right of access to the deceased member’s pension benefit”.

Generally, the official added, to access someone’s benefit following their death, you need to contact the pension plan administrator, who will provide the relevant forms. The mother will “at a minimum” have to provide her identification and her son’s death certificate. If you are going to act on behalf of the mother, you will need “formal written communication to that effect signed by the relevant person and properly witnessed, otherwise the pension plan will only provide you with general information”.

I hope that gives you and your friend a place to start.

Category: Ask Auntie, Pension Questions

You can comment anonymously. Please read the CNS Comment Policy at the top of this page.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We have created a new system to help us address questions we receive from the public for the press briefings. We are getting hundreds every day and it’s impossible to read and deal with them while the PB is in process as there are a lot of moving parts to being able to do the Zoom meeting, take notes and respond to their info in real time.

So we are asking people to send their questions each day BEFORE NOON to:

This will give us a chance to read, sort and consolidate the questions so that we get to the issues that people are most concerned about.

Thanks for your help. In the meantime the ones you have sent will be sorted and collated.