Wants to hold an art retreat

| 15/10/2018

I am an artist that owns a vacation home on Grand Cayman. I would like to offer an art retreat at my home – charging my students for accommodation, meals and art lessons. Do I need a work visa to run this event?

Ask Auntie, CNS Local Life, Caymanian statusAuntie’s answer: To the reader who sent in this question, I know it has been a good few months since you wrote but I didn’t forget you. Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer and there is not always an obvious reason why; this is one of those cases.

Unfortunately, the adage, “Good things comes to those who wait” doesn’t apply here. An official from the Department of Immigration has confirmed that you would need a work permit to be able to teach art as you described, and in order to get a permit you have to be employed by a company on island which is legally licensed to operate here.


Category: Ask Auntie, Immigration Questions

Comments (3)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. MM says:

    Easy enough to find a Caymanian to take out a business license and work permit for you

    Or, just incorporate a SEZC company; apply for a T & B yourself and take out your own work permit.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Jus do it. Make sure they check leisure on their immigration card.

  3. Anonymous says:

    I’m certain that they will need a guesthouse license as well if they are using their own property. That would be considered a short term rental if it’s to visitors.