Insurance coverage for students

| 23/01/2019

For students (both Caymanian and non-Caymanian) at university in the UK who are covered under the National Health Service and are no longer under their parents’ policy, what can they do for health insurance over the Christmas and summer breaks if they return to Cayman?

Ask Auntie, CNS Local Life, Caymanian statusAuntie’s answer: Returning students, whether Caymanian or non-Caymanian, who are not covered under their parents’ health insurance, for whatever reason, can apply for a SHIC (the Standard Health Insurance Contract) plan through CINICO (Cayman Islands National Insurance Company) or any other insurer. The one restriction is that the student has to be a legal resident of the Cayman Islands.

A CINICO official noted, however, that Section 2 of the Health Insurance Law (2018 Revision) sets out the definition of dependent children, and if the student falls within that definition, he or she should continue to be covered under their parents’ policy.

The official also confirmed that the SHIC, and every other health insurance, plan is sold on a month-to-month basis so it can be purchased for when the student is back in Cayman and cancelled at any time.

The law mentioned above can be found on the CNS Library

Send questions to

Recent answers from Auntie (Click here for archives)

Suspicious of charity’s finances

Suspicious of charity’s finances

Do you know if charities (not churches) are monitored on-island or required to do an audit? I am just wondering because there is one charity on-island, which I am concerned about backhanders and siphoning of funds going on. Who does one report this to? Auntie’s answer: The enactment of the Non-Profit Organisations (NPO) Law, 2017 […]

Expired licence for utility company

Expired licence for utility company

Is there an update on the new or renewed licence for Cayman Brac Power & Light? According to OfReg’s website, CP&L’s licence expired on 16 December 2018. Auntie’s answer: The question came up in the comments 16 January under this article: OfReg gives nod to CUC plan to ease off fossil fuels. The reader is […]

Victim did not receive police update

Victim did not receive police update

Some time ago I was seriously assaulted by someone known to me. The matter was reported to the police and I gave a statement giving details of the assault. Some short time later I became aware that the same person had been arrested for another crime. Since then I have not heard of any charges […]

Unhappy with hospital’s food

Unhappy with hospital’s food

While I realise a hospital’s first priority is to treat patients, and I give high marks to the quality of care at


Category: Ask Auntie, Health Insurance Questions

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    When CINICO still says “no”, because the person is over 23, what can be done?

  2. Anonymous says:

    A different question would be why do you not cover your child under your health insurance while they are at university? Are they not worth the few extrra dolars to you? You do know that the insurance can be used in the UK should the need for expedited service was desired.